8.27.2009

media shit storm over ground beef and nancy silverton

Daily Dish and Eater LA both ran stories that Nancy Silverton was previewing burgers for a new restaurant that she and Amy Pressman were going to open in the farmers market. The stories are not true. I wrote "An Amendment: There Will Be No Nancy Silverton Burger Joint" yesterday as an official redaction of those stories. Some of the redaction reactions were, um, biting:

"I'm glad Nancy isn't responsible for the burgers last night. I feel ripped off because $36 for a 3-course burger menu is expensive but worth it if Nancy Silverton is making the burgers. If I had known beforehand she wasn't doing the burgers or this wasn't a preview for her place, no way I'd have made the drive from OC or paid the $36. More importantly, I respectfully have to disagree about the quality of the burgers last night."

"I'm just wondering how many major things Eater can get wrong before somebody pulls the plug. It's becoming almost comical to see Kat thrashing around like that."

Then from Eater:

"Why is Kat "fault-free?" because she copied the Times? Just because they got it wrong doesn't mean she's not at fault. Did anyone see the mistakes in SIV's review of Ado today? They're just as bad over there. All it takes is one or two phone calls, people. The paper and blogs, alike. So lazy. I don't care if the fact checkers got canned (LAT) or bloggers don't know any better (KAT), but if you don't know who to call to get the real story, you shouldn't f**cking print/post it.

And I agree with some of you: Reading Eater now is like walking through a mine field of misreported facts and general nothingness that the editor makes up. who knows what to believe anymore."

"I love it when all the food blogs get it wrong except the LA Weekly."

I hope there isn't going to be a food blog rumble, unless it's the dance-off kind.

Here're more scraps from this week:
"Weed in a Bottle: Mary Jane's Relaxing Soda"
"Digestive Table Invites Worms to Dinner"
"It's Sustainable L.A. Day at the Downtown Film Festival"

No comments: