8.31.2009

culinary tour little saigon


Last Saturday, I joined a group of food writers for a culinary tour of Little Saigon. It kicked ass. I could have spent an hour in Lee's Sandwiches alone, staring at that machine as it turned out molded creme puff-like treats. But the afternoon was so thoroughly enriching. And the book, Robert Danhi's Southeast Asian Flavors: Adventures in Cooking the Foods of Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, & Singapore, which I've really only just cracked, has already brought me to tears with its earnest professions of love for Southeast Asian culture.

Here are a few photos from the trip that I didn't include in the post. Btw, the first photo is of "meat floss," which sounds homo-erotic, but tastes like regular jerky. I also have a short post up about a kimchi and sauerkraut making class, "This Cooking Class Should Stink: Kraut Fest 09 at Machine Project."




No comments: