1.19.2009

A gourmand breaks her silence

Joblessness has rendered me unfocused, directionless, and apathetic to food. Running is the only activity that gives my day any kind of structure and eating has become the thing I do to facilitate more running. It's been tragic. But yesterday, Aaron (the newest JEWISH addition to 415 1/2) alerted me to Gourmand syndrome and thereby prompted me to write again.

From About.com: Eating Disorders
Gourmand syndrome is a rare and benign disorder in which the main symptom is a powerful craving for fine food...The enjoyment of food in gourmand syndrome goes beyond eating. There is also a powerful appreciation for food shopping and preparation, and the process of conducting a meal takes on a new flavor as well. One might say that eating becomes the primary element of excitement in life...Pleasure is greater and health does not seem to suffer as a result. Those with gourmand syndrome seek food that enhances pleasure, and they appear to get the most possible enjoyment they can from the food they eat. In short, their awareness is heightened.

Aaron said, "That's us". And he's right. I love food and food smells, food preparation, food memories, food culture!...But being broke and humbled by unemployment makes it hard to enjoy flavor in the focused way I used to. It seems I must find a job even if it's for no reason other than to restore my appetite. ::Resolved, Emma walks off into the sunset, to the job that exists just beyond the horizon::

No comments: