11.08.2010

Naresh's, THAT post



"Naresh Mehra Built Main Street with His Bare Hands, Opens Eponymous Restaurant"

Did I do it? My mom didn't particularly like it, and my editor cut two paragraphs, but my favorite writer assures me that it is actually very good. So I'm still undecided, but I have a hard time liking the stuff I write.

I've said before that I think I make things too precious, I project holiness onto the commonplace so writing about any subject becomes stifling, my words inadequate. It's probably a compound of being Jewish and hyper-literate. I mean, I cry during commercials for women's deodorant and read into the subtext of croissants. I don't know that stuff is appropriate for food blogging, which seems best when it's fast-paced and specific, but if I ever write a book, you bes' believe it'll be full of poetic waxings on the perfection of fun-size Milky Way Midnight and reasons not to eat an ice cream sandwich while walking.

That said, Naresh's really is that place you want to bring your friends. It's open late and feels like you could stay all night, sharing small plates, freezing time. Naresh himself is a delight. I wish him all the best in his new business.

No comments: