9.03.2010

PALETA TEST KITCHEN, PART 5



First, I'm sorry about the crappy photo. You can't tell here but these paletas were lovely, ivory speckled with black. Someday I'll have bigger windows.

This recipe for VANILLA RICE PUDDING POPS was adapted from a recipe for COCONUT MANGO RICE PUDDING POPS on Apartment Therapy, which was adapted from one in Saveur.

These were definitely one of the best pops I made. They were delicately sweet, soft and creamy. Some people told me they were a bit filling, but I'm biased as this was the first time I'd ever cooked with a whole vanilla bean. Scraping out the little seeds from the pod was something of a moonwalk for me, exciting and a bit scary, and it made my hands smell wonderful. Also, the bean I used was gifted to my roommate Sara by Top Chef Michael Votaggio. So yeah, I'm biased.


VANILLA RICE PUDDING POPS

INGREDIENTS
1 15-ounce can coconut milk, shaken
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
1 cup arborio rice
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

DIRECTIONS
Whisk the coconut milk and whole milk together in a saucepan. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean and stir in. Stir in the rice, and bring the whole mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Turn the heat down to low and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, water, vanilla extract, and salt. Let it cool and then divide the mixture between cups and freeze. After about 1.5 hours, insert popsicle stick and let freeze over night.

No comments: