9.01.2010

PALETA TEST KITCHEN, PART 3

Another strange thing about ice pops: popsicle sticks are impossible to find. This kind of blew my mind because they seem so common. I mean, are they not the basic build blocks of any and all structure? Ultimately, I fashioned my own sticks from coffee stirrers and chopsticks, halfed and sanded. If you're using the stirrers, I recommend doubling up. Single sticks hold up okay, but the doubles feel much much sturdier. (Of course, it wasn't until after I'd completed my pops that a friend suggested I try looking for popsicle sticks at the 99 cent store. I haven't checked, but I'm 75% sure that they definitely have them.)


The recipe below for BANANA COCONUT ICE POPS is from a series originally printed in the LA Times. The bananas I used were not as ripe as the recipe calls for so I had to add more honey. I also found them to be a bit icy. Should I choose to make them again, I'll definitely use riper bananas (for sweetness, and more of those adorable speckles) and try adding a bit of sugar too.

BANANA COCONUT POPS

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups full-fat Greek yogurt
2 bananas, very ripe
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons honey
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

DIRECTIONS
Place the yogurt, bananas, milk, coconut milk and honey in a blender. Blend until smooth. Stir in coconut flakes, then re-cover the blender and pulse briefly to combine.

Divide the puréed mixture evenly among your pop molds, leaving about one-half inch of headroom at the top of each one. Once they are filled, tap the molds gently against the counter, allowing the purée to settle evenly into the molds and dislodging any air bubbles that may have formed. Cover the molds and fit with popsicle sticks, if necessary. Freeze the molds until completely firm, at least 5 hours.

No comments: