8.30.2010

PALETA TEST KITCHEN, PART 1


To set things straight: "Popsicle" is a brand. Like Kleenex, or Band Aid, or any of the other brands that have successfully worked themselves into the American lexicon in place of generic terms without us (me) knowing. What we're talking about here is "ice pops," frozen water-based desserts on a stick, and "paletas," like Latin American ice pops, though not necessarily water-based. Paletas are not necessarily frozen either, but that's a subject for a different post.

Two weeks ago I became overwhelmingly inspired to test kitchen paletas. I can no longer remember what sparked it, but I imagine that while cruising my favorite crafting blogs I stumbled across a batch with particularly charming shape and bright happy colors and became smitten. That's usually how it goes anyway. So I spent the better part of a week in the kitchen, making a mess, buying ingredients that I thought I'd use but didn't (Greek yogurt), dying the tips of my fingers, running out of space in the freezer, eating Lean Cuisines to make room in the freezer...and ultimately concocting a proud batch of pops. I found that some of my favorite recipes were the traditional fruit and simple syrup mix, but if I weren't so terrified of wasting fruit (fresh berries are ridiculously expensive in L.A. right now) I would've tried to incorporated some gelatin a la estilo mexicano. Maybe next time we're in Oregon.

I'll run the recipes one at a time.



MEXICAN MANGO CHILE AND LIME

INGREDIENTS
4 mangoes
1 enormous, juicy lime
1/4 cup sugar
Arbol chile powder

DIRECTIONS
In a food processor, puree the mango until free of chunks. Add lime juice and sugar. Add arbol chile a little at a time, to taste. Remember that freezing dulls all of the flavors, so if the mix tastes too sweet or too spicy, it will probably turn out right. For more spice, run a lightly lamp towel on the inside of the pop mold. Sprinkle chile powder inside of the mold so that it collects at the top. Fill your molds and freeze. If you don't have ice pop molds, use Dixie cups. First stage freeze time will depend on the size of your mold. After about 30 minutes, insert a sticks into the pops. Freeze overnight.

No comments: