7.24.2009

Redefining "Inker": My post on Comic Con

"Comic Con Trades Tights For Toques, Keeps Utility Belts," is my favorite headline.

Although I've yet to develop a taste for Manga -- perhaps something to do with the art and its tendency to under-develop emotional exposition (a grossly sweeping generalization, I know) -- I think I'll pick up some Garume when I'm there on Sunday. Whatever it is I feel is missing from Manga, I hope to find it in Garume.

Also, when I was searching around for my SI post material, I found Mostly About Food, an online collection of one guy's food-focused comics. It includes illustrated restaurant reviews, recipes, food odes, etc., with occasionally wax-on/wax-off-ish samurai themes. I don't really like the art (it's very 80's and I have issues with color), but I appreciate what he's trying to do.

And today, LA Weekly ran a Comic Con slide show titled "Comic Con: 'THE EMPIRE MUGGS BACK' STAR WARS DISPLAY." The collection of Star Wars inspired toys like the Admiral Ackbar Cereal bowl will be auctioned off to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. It's all very silly. All very, I can't believe people are actually going to buy this stuff. But the consumer aspect of fandom has always eluded me and, of course, it's for charity.

No comments: