12.16.2008

Beginning, again

I had written the entry that was to open this blog a couple of weeks ago. It followed all introductory protocol: set the tone, deliver mission statement, include personal history, be funny, etc. I’ve scrapped that entry. The sheer virtue of its adherence to formula makes it contrary to the objective of Live and Active Cultures and seems to be the reason I was so reluctant to post it. In it’s place, I’d like to offer a little anecdote:

My friends and I have gotten into cooking dinner together. Nothing fancy. We’ve done a perfect pasta, a queasifying stir-fry, a couple of creative panini, and a post-thanksgiving feast. People come over. We eat, drink, watch a movie. S’all good. So we’re in the kitchen, making our second round of paninis in two days and Ryan, the 415 ½ resident to whom I’ve given the job of grilling the experimental pesto-zucchini slices says, “I like living here a lot more this year than last year. It feels more like a community”. This is exactly the objective.

Live and Active Cultures is not about food. It’s about all of those remarkable things that stimulate connectivity and cultivate community. Food just happens to be (my favorite) one of them. And we all have to eat. SO, let’s make the food. Then talk about it, or anything. Let’s share plates and stories. And watch how what’s in the oven and on the table influences what happens in the kitchen and across the table. Should be fun but if nothing else, it’ll be an excuse to eat.

No comments: