6.24.2011

Cakes for my Betty Draper New England fantasy life

In my younger years I often wished that I had grown up on the east coast.  Somewhere in New England, my hair would be longer and thicker and my bangs more blunt.  I'd take tennis lessons of course, and crew.   Competitors would fear my level head and quiet power; my coach would have been an alternate for the '84 Olympic team in both sports.  My friends, Madison (Maddie), Bernice (Bertie), and Caroline would always dress in whites or pastels, which would never get dirty, even when picking berries.  On weekends, we'd head for the cape. 

At 25, I'm super proud to be a Californian.  I love soccer and brown skin and garlic.  If I were to get a tattoo, I'd get a California silhouette somewhere on my inner arm so that when I shook someone's hand he'd know what's up.  I still love the fantasy of New England mothers ironing white linen tablecloths, planning theme parties and icing cakes.  And this is why I'm thankful for the internet, and JCrew.

Both cakes via Poppytalk.  Top, inspired by Stella McCartney's spring collection, Apollina created Stella Cake (a Citrus Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Orange Lemon Icing).  Bottom, a DIY tutorial from Strawberry Chic shows how to make frosting roses.


3 comments:

Shawn said...

What that's so crazy. In my fantasies I was a negro elevator attendant who moonlighted as a shoeshine boy at the country club. We would have bumped into each other all the time.

emma said...

I would have been very nice to you and tipped you with my pocket money, which is another thing I had only in my fantasy childhood.

Shawn said...

I would have studied magic in late evening hours and performed high-level tricks upon your change for the delight of you and the crowd of people I had attracted around us with my natural charisma.