3.01.2011

doughnuts of late

Portland is quite probably the best vacation city in the United States. You can literally spend hours just browsing bookstores, drinking coffee, sampling food trucks--all of the things you enjoy doing in your own city, without the guilt of doing stuff you do in your own city. Portland culture is that of cultural aesthetes, a collective of our type of people doing stuff we like to do. Zinester/animal portrait artist Nicole Georges, whose Portland zine anthology Invincible Summer I am currently enjoying very much, describes it as "a city of seasonal affected disorders and kids who never grow up," and every time I visit it gets harder to leave.

On that note I've been eating a lot of doughnuts at work lately. And I don't like doughnuts. To me they're like arcades, alluring and charming, only insofar as I understand they're supposed to be. Things for which other people's abundant excitement has often swept me up, though I have no particular interest in them myself. Jonathan Taylor Thomas was another such popular fixation. [In third grade I bought a Tiger Beat magazine because I assumed it was another part of being a girl my age I didn't yet understand. Like bras.]

Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland meets every criteria for a necessary vacation visit--small, local, weird. These are qualities I seek out tirelessly in other cities. And yet, during our last trip, I started walking over to shop, after a perfect vanilla latte from Stumptown, located conveniently down the street, and at the last minute I decided to keep walking because I didn't want a doughnut. This probably seems insignificant, I know, only it wasn't. In my own city I do and eat things that I don't even like. And why? Maybe it's easier and less exhausting than a life of amazing things all the time, less emotional. Is that why Portland is such a special place to visit, because it encourages you to behave like a local and live exactly as you would if you didn't worry about money and failing and the future. That's what it does for me.





3 comments:

Shawn said...

Did you not want to go to Ground Kontrol? I thought it had been requested, otherwise we could have gone other places and I apologize. I like the place because I don't like to sit down.

I discovered the location of the ice cream shop, by the way. I took us to Blue Hour when in fact the ice cream shop is called Cool Moon, not even Blue Moon which is a bar by my apartment. Next time.

emma said...

NO NO NO! Shawn, I LOVE Ground Kontrol. LOVE-love it even. I probably should have been more specific. For me, a pinball arcade is special place in a category apart from regular arcades. For one, the games are fairly straight forward and tactile (considering the ball weighs this much, get it to go here, don't let it go there) and the obstacles come purely from my own limitations. Also, it feels like the machine WANTS me to do well. I mean, it throws a fucking party when I achieve an objective.

It's the converse of all those things is what I typically don't like about pure video arcades. So yeah, no apologies necessary.

I'm excited you found the ice cream shop. You and Stephanie should come down next month for the group birthday party. Ryan is going to rent a bounce house.

emma said...

ALSO! The thesis of the post was that when I'm in Portland I don't feel pressure to do anything I don't want to do.


And I miss you guys. Please visit.