2.15.2011

the butter to my bread


As promised, here is the fruit of my Valentine's Day crafting. Paul Child is quoted as saying this to his wife Julia. "You are the butter to my bread and the breath to my life." But my Valentine is more of the visual sort. Literal too. And "breath to my life" has an almost macabre undertone, so this suits us best.

I have a deep love for the folk aesthetics of paper cutout, or scherenschnitte, to the Germans, and to other people who can pronounce scherenschnitte. I've been playing around with paper cutting for about half a year, mostly holiday cards and monogrammed gift tags from black card stock. Clearly, I need a new Xacto knife. It's too dull for precision lettering but I'm still pleased with the general look of this one. It's my zero dollar Valentine.

1 comment:

joe said...

that is a beautiful picture, lady, thank you for the valentime