10.22.2009

Leftover rice

They say that when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Better yet, I'd say that when life gives you leftover rice and you're out of other things to eat for breakfast, make rice pudding. Much less elegant, but  much more filling.

No bread, no cereal. This morning, the situation looked grim. I made tea, worked for a bit, and avoided the thought of making breakfast. I googled "rice breakfast," thinking I might do something Asian with the leftover rice from last night, maybe throw a poached egg on top of some fried rice. The first results turned out to be rice pudding, which I was lucky enough to have the makings for.




I threw together what amounted to be probably a cup or so of leftover rice, a cup of milk, and a hand full and a half of raisins into a pot, cracked one egg, and stirred it well. For sweetness, I dripped in a few tablespoons of maple syrup (though honey or white sugar would probably do the trick), and sprinkled in a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. I brought it to a boil, stirred some more, and let it simmer for maybe 5-7 minutes. This is a really satisfying breakfast for very little work. Sweet, hearty, and it warms the cockles. Great for the winter, especially if it happened to be winter outside!



No comments: