5.19.2009

Weekend Fooding

Alana's coming to LA this weekend, we have yet to celebrate Aaron's birthday, Joe worked all week, my second piece for the LA WEEKLY is about to go up, and Ryan graduated - I think a nice group meal at one of LA's new exciting eateries is in order.


Territory BBQ and Records- As indicated by its name, Territory is half restaurant, half record store so I think it'll be the perfect place to satisfy our group's various snobberies. It's brand spanking new, and looking super cool. The Southern BBQ menu includes a catfish sandwich to show they don't fuck around. Sandwiches run $8 with 1 side, "slaw + pickle." Extra sides and desserts are $3. I have my eye on the brisket sandwich and fresh-baked cobbler.


Golden State- The beer/ice cream combination has intrigued and followed me much in the same way it did Doc Rickets in that chapter of Cannery Row: "The idea gagged him but he couldn't let it alone...Once the thing got into your head you couldn't forget it" (Chapter 17). Indeed, it's very yum/gross, very original Iron Chef. But then, Jonathan Gold tasted Golden State's beer float, and wrote this: "a marriage of cold creaminess and explosive fizz, innocent sweetness and a blast of pungent, hoppy bitterness that rides the back of your throat like a cottonmouth on a waterslide" and now I'm irrevocably sold. The menu is mostly $9 burgers and stuff but did I mention the ice cream is from Scoops?

Also, I heard that 7 bone chuck roast is on sale so perhaps we can make some carne machaca because it's delicious and I want my facebook status to be "more beef than east coast/west coast rap."

No comments: